According to a recent survey, Canada will soon lack 48,000 long-haul trucks by 2024. This is excellent news, especially for truck drivers. It will also create truck driver jobs for those who want to immigrate to work as a truck driver in Canada.
Canadian truck drivers are in great demand. Canadian officials have also supported all this development by providing work visas for eligible foreign workers looking to become truck drivers in Canada.
Canada: Truck Driver Jobs Requirement (with Visa Sponsorship)
Let’s now look at what is required to obtain a Canadian truck driver job. This will let you know the requirements for a Canadian visa sponsor truck driver.
- Canada’s truck driver jobs include permanent, full-time, overtime, weekend, day, night, and evening work.
- Having a secondary school diploma for this position is preferable but not necessary.
- However, it is an asset to have experience with heavy-duty driving.
- Communication in basic or functional English is required.
- For this job, certificates, licenses, or memberships will be required.
- You will need a valid driver’s license (Class 1 or A) and an Air Brake (Z Endorsement).
- Types of Trucking and Equipment: Flatbed truck, Tractor-trailer or Straight truck (or 4,600kg+, 10,000 lbs+ with 3+ Axles).
- Safety and Security: A basic security clearance, criminal background check, and driving record check (abstract), as well as medical examination and drug testing, are all required.
- Information about transportation and travel. Willing to travel anywhere within Canada and the United States. Willingness to travel in the morning, evening or night, including overnight routes.
- Other: Legal permission to work in Canada is required for candidates
- Ability to operate and drive either straight or articulated trucks to transport products and supplies.
- Cargo loading, unloading, tarping, and guaranteeing cargo safety & security
- You can plan your trip routes and schedules.
- Atlases and other planning tools are essential for your journey planning.
- Receive and forward information to the central dispatcher.
- Driving ability in a convoy or with a team of two.
- It is necessary to examine the vehicle and inspect its condition.
Top Canadian Programs for Truck Driver Jobs
Here’s the list of top programs to help you find a job as a truck driver with visa sponsorship in Canada.
British Columbia Truck Driver Jobs
The provincial program for truck drivers is in British Columbia.
A full-time job in long-haul transport is the best option for candidates in British Columbia’s entry-level and semi-skilled categories. The job bank has more than 400 jobs. Long-haul drivers are allowed to live permanently in the province. Learn more about immigration in British Columbia by visiting their website at https://www.immigration.ca/british-columbia-immigration/.
Quebec Truck Driver Jobs
Quebec leads in truck driver job opportunities with 837 available job advertisements. According to information from the Quebec government’s website for employment, truck driver opportunities are ‘excellent’.
Access the Quebec website at https://www.immigration.ca/en/quebecimmigrationprovincial.html.
Ontario Truck Driver Jobs
The Ontario Immigrant Program Employer Job Offer in-Demand Skill Stream added the NOC Code for Transport Truck Drivers (7511) to its July 2019 edition.
It allows truck drivers with experience in Ontario to follow a clear path to permanent residence.
Learn more about immigration at https://www.immigration.ca/en/ontario-immigration.html.
Alberta Truck Driver Jobs
Long-haul truckers, also in high demand under the Alberta Immigrant Program, have over 500 job openings. Truck drivers are eligible for the Alberta Opportunity Stream and Alberta Express Entry.
Manitoba Truck Driver Jobs
Employers looking to hire truck drivers from Manitoba should use the federal Labour Market Implication Assessment for Temporary Foreign Workers process. Employers can employ outside the LMIA process through the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program, as long as they comply with all provincial labor laws.
Visit the Manitoba immigration website at https://www.immigration.ca/en/manitoba-immigration.html to discover more.
Newfoundland and Labrador Truck Driver Jobs
This is Newfoundland and Labrador’s province.
Newfoundland and Labrador’s Labour Market Outlook report 2025 highlights truck driving, a profession requiring substantial immigration to fill job vacancies. Trucking companies must apply to be eligible employers to receive the NLPNP Skilled Workers and Express Entry streams.
Saskatchewan Truck Driver Jobs
Saskatchewan Immigration also offers a sub-category for long-haul truck drivers legally allowed to work in Canada. The occupation qualifies for both the Express Entry and Occupations-In-Demand categories in Saskatchewan, each certain targeting occupations.
Nova Scotia Truck Driver Jobs
The Nova Scotia Nominee Program’s Occupations in-Demand stream targets two jobs: Transport truck driver (NOC 7511). This allows drivers to become permanent residents.
Through this program, you can get a job as a truck driver with visa sponsorship in Canada.
Canada’s Truck Drivers Earn a Living
Truck drivers now earn competitive hourly rates with the national and provincial averages.
Statistics Canada and Job Bank data indicate that while the median salary for truck drivers is lower than the national, it can still rise to over $8, or $32 per hour, depending on the circumstances.
Truck drivers’ wages are expected to rise as labor demand increases in the coming years.
This article will help you find a truck driver job in Canada with visa sponsorship for foreigners. This article highlighted the opportunities available and provided information about the programs.